La Roca
La Roca
Medical
Medical Projects
Project Hope
Project Hope

NEWS

NEWS

January 20, 2009
Santa Rosa de Copán, Honduras

Wow!! Have we ever been tardy in keeping this news page up to date. Sorry.

The boys finished the year in the Moses Project. The 7 boys in their first year completed their course in carpentry and their first year in junior high and agricultural training. The 5 boys that completed their second year of the program finished an entire year of welding at the trade school as well as continuing their studies at junior high and in the agricultural. They finished their year planting noni and chocolate trees (one to heal you and one to make you feel good...)

At the end of their year, we had a couple of groups come down from the Calgary area and built a larger version of our chicken coop out at the new farm as well as some repairs to the basketball court and jungle gym at La Roca. For the year end bash, one of the groups took the boys to a hot springs in the valley by Gracias for the afternoon (we worked in the morning) and then we celebrated Honduras' fortune in beating Mexico that evening in World Cup soccer qualifications. The evening ended with an excessive amount of fireworks, followed by ice cream downtown (despite the cool temperatures that week).

Progress on the farm has been fantastic as well. We raised the funds for the downpayment and promptly thereafter started contsruction (we already had funds committed for the construction component). The bulldozer at the right took a couple days to clear off the spot for the permanent residence for the boys starting 2010. While the dozer was doing that, we went ahead and constructed a 6,500 gallon water tank up the hill. We still need to connect the tank to the springs from the other side of the farm and are actively seeking sponsorship for that particular project. Another very identifiable project that would be a great sponsorship project is bringing in power from the village up above.

In the meantime, the guys went to down digging trenches for footings and building up walls. We have the walls installed up to the top of door height for 60% of the first floor. Now we will pour a beam all around these walls before raising them up to the level of the floor above and then pour the floor. While the floor is hardening, we will put up the walls for the other 40% of the first floor -- allowing us to use the same wood for forms on the second part as the first, and save significant dollars in the process.

Shortly after the last update, we held the annual Day of the Child celebration at La Roca. For the first couple years (2002 - 2003) we had close to 200 children in attendance for this party. The the enthusiasm and participation started to drop, to the point that we were likely under 100 for the last one. This year, Lourdes and her husband were struggling to keep their heads above the water with just under 300 very excied kids packed into the youth center. Omar from the neighborhood association came to help with crowd control and also refereed the potato sack races

As always, we encourage you contribute to the development of youth here in Honduras. Whether it be a $35 monthly sponsorship for a participant in The Moses Project, a major $30,000 -capital share in the building project at the farm, or sponsoring a particular need like the orphanage food production program, we encourage you to put your blessings to use to change the future forever. Check out our Fundraising Campaign or Donate pages to get involved.

We always welcome your feedback, so feel free to contact me at phil@timko.ca.